Some speakers of Ute (Uto-Aztecan) have a heavily rhotacized realization of
[ø]. Pronunciations range from [ø] to [ø˞] to [ɹ̩]. For example, the word
pö'öi 'write' can be pronounced [pøˈʔøi] / [pø˞ˈʔø˞i] / [pɹ̩ˈʔɹ̩i]. I have
examples of all of these pronunciations in my field recordings.

I believe Serrano has a whole set of rhotacized vowels, but I'm not sure
where they came from. Serrano is a Uto-Aztecan language of the Takic
branch; Takic historical phonology is very complicated, and it's outside my
immediate area of expertise.

Dirk