On Jun 24, 2013 10:35 PM, "G. van der Vegt" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> (Onlist this time, didn't notice a reply-to was set.)
>
> > There is no reason to force the case conventions of English onto
another language just
> > because those conventions happen to convenient and familiar to English
readers! When
> > transcribing my own conlangs using Latin script, I dó in fact at times
use something
> > approaching an English mode of capitalisation -- as you say, it is
useful and convenient
> > and familiar. But I don't hold anyone else to following that same
practice; and I don't
> > even follow it consistently for all languages.
>
> I strongly disagree. The point of transliteration is to make things
> convenient and familiar to the users of the target orthography, and
> most (if not all) languages which have the Latin script as their
> native script use capitalization, and most of those capitalize the
> things English do (the main exceptions I know capitalize more, not
> less.)

I think this depends on the creator's intent so that whether or not you
follow capitalization conventions is a nonissue. In transliterating my
conlang, I'm not trying to cater to others, it's convenient for myself to
work with because it's what I know best. That being said, I understand the
minor degree of utility  capitalization has but it does change the look of
the language. Deciding to disregard capitalization conventions hasn't
really had an affect at all on readability in my opinion, simply on
aesthetics.