======
i strongly disagree. the point of transliteration is to make things
convenient and familiar to the users of the target orthography, and most
(if not all) languages which have the latin script as their native script
use capitalization, and most of those capitalize the things english do (the
main exceptions i know capitalize more, not less.)
========

I removed all of the capitals from a randomly chosen paragraph to
demonstrate my opinion that readability has been very very minimally
affected. If you want to really mess things up, you could remove all
punctuation as well. THAT would affect readability for me. I think the
punctuation is more important in this respect than capitalization, so I
don't know why this is such a huge gripe! Convention is only convention, it
doesn't mean it's how everything needs to be done.

Zach

On Jun 26, 2013 5:55 AM, "Michael Everson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2013, at 19:24, BPJ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > 2013-06-24 16:35, G. van der Vegt skrev:
> >> I strongly disagree. The point of transliteration is to make things
convenient and familiar to the users of the target orthography, and most
(if not all) languages which have the Latin script as their native script
use capitalization, and most of those capitalize the things English do (the
main exceptions I know capitalize more, not less.)

> > That's hardly true since many languages written in Latin script don't
capitalize adjectives derived from names or names of languages.  That makes
for many fewer capitals in running text containing such adjectives/language
names.

> That's really not the point. Such usage varies normally within the Latin
script. This is well known.

> What doesn't vary is the convention of using capital letters at the
beginnings of sentences. Some Cambridge (but not Oxford) approaches to
Latin texts bizarrely eschew capital letters and all I can say is that it
makes both Harrius Potter and worse Hobbitus Ille a chore and a pain to
read. (Tolkien, an Oxford man and a Catholic who knew his Vulgate, would
not have approved.)

> >> Don't be so alarmist.
> >>

> > I'm not. I'm just strongly opinionated, as you are WRT capitalization.
>
> Capitalization is not the same thing as glyph design.
>
> > In both cases the people who design
orthographies/transliterations/transcriptions do what pleases *them* best.
It ain't their concern to please you or me, nor should it be.

> What are you on about? If you want to insist on a special form of H WITH
HOOK that differs from the one in use in Chad, well, by all means do, but
be aware that fonts will be doing what the Chadians do.

> > Most people are able to muster good arguments for doing things the way
they do, even when that's the opposite way from one's own preference.

> I've yet to see a good argument against the use of capital letters in the
Latin script at the beginnings of sentences. Is it "more aesthetic"? Gods
know what that means. It's less functional because there are fewer
distinctions available.

> > Orthographic nitpicking serves one purpose only: to put down those who
don't adhere to the 'rules', which seldom are about preserving the
expression of grammatical, phonological or semantic distinctions,

> Marking the beginnings of sentences with a capital letter is the norm,
and it is that because it's functionally useful. Jettisonning that simply
makes reading harder.