On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, J. 'Mach' Wust <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:06:52 -0300, Njenfalgar wrote:
>
> >Outside of Spain I think the lenition of the syllable-final /s/ is quite
> >common. All Latin Americans I can remember having spoken with did it at
> >least in not-all-to-careful speech. Some would delete the /s/ entirely,
> >leaving Murcian-style extra vowels (the Cuban I was in the office with for
> >a while pronounced /e/ and /o/ as [E] and [O] in checked syllables,
> leaving
> >a height difference behind whenever underlying /s/ disappeared).
>
> From what I have learnt, the Latin American regions syllable-final [s]
> lenition or elision are not necessarily contiguous. There is a broad
> tendency for mountain regions to keep the [s] and for coastal regions to
> drop it, though I darkly remember that this was a contentious issue without
> any consensus on the possible reasons (substrates, waves of immigration,
> openness to transportation, climate). One theory is that all of Latin
> America used to have an archaic Southern Spain Spanish, but then, a more
> Northern and more modern Spanish spread from the colonial centers (after
> the
> Spanish court had firmly established itself in Madrid), while remote areas
> conserved the original speech with typical features such as voseo*, merger
> of syllable-final [r] and [l], or elision of syllable-final [s].
>
> * Voseo is the name for using the ancient honorific "vos". Nowadays, it is
> best known from Argentina, which used to be a very remote area until the
> 19th century, having been colonized from Peru (and not from the sea).
>
> --
> grüess
> mach

In my very limited experience (linguistically speaking) here in Mexico,
that change from s to h is considered a "costeño" (coastal) accent. I've
heard it from people from the states of Baja California Sur, Guerrero, and
Veracruz, mainly. Also, I think in Venezuela they have it in some regions.

Ayam.

--
Nac Mac Feegle! Wee Free Men!
Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Nae Master!