I can't begin to have a Creole for Yardish.

Mellissa Green

@GreenNovelist

-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of R A Brown
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Creoles

On 17/07/2013 05:33, MorphemeAddict wrote:
> My understanding is that it means taking the lexicon
> from one language (primarily) and the grammar from
> another (primarily).

certainly if one of the languages is perceived as more
prestigious than the other, vocabulary will tend to come
from the prestigious language; but there will be odd bit
from the other language or, indeed, languages.

Creoles often have grammatical features that are not common
to either parent language.

On 17/07/2013 13:01, Roger Mills wrote:
> And I think it could involve phonological borrowing too.

Most certainly.

[interesting stuff snipped]

> Question for Ray Brown-- is that how koine Greek arose,
> or is said to have arisen???

Yes, same sort of way.  It developed from the Greek taken by
Alexander's soldiers and reinforced by traders and settlers
in the conquered territories.

It was based on the Greek of Athens, as this was seen as a
more prestigious dialect than others; but features which
were peculiarly Attic got ironed out with 'more acceptable'
pan-Hellenic features from the other Ionic dialects. For
example, the peculiarly Attic θάλασττα (thálatta) was
replaces by Ionic θάλασσα (thalassa).

During the time of its use it was modified by the speech
habits of L2 speakers; this was probably why pitch accent
gave way during the roman period to stress accent.

But it was a Koine, not a Creole.  It is not improbable that
in seaports, for example, Greek-based pidgins become
creolized, but we have no record of any such creoles.

--
Ray