It seems like you might be producing a voiceless _retroflex_ trill? It
is sort of like pushing your tongue forward from its curled position
by a puff of air (with maybe some frication in the throat - don't
quote me, I'm not a phonetician). Otherwise it's probably a voiceless
alveolar or voiceless uvular trill.

I've always been able to roll an alveolar trill, although I find it
much easier to just tap/flap (I still don't know the difference
between taps and flaps). I've had a lot of trouble with the uvular
trill; for the first few years of learning French I think I pronounced
it just as a voiced velar fricative that assimilated in voicing to
surrounding consonants. Even now it comes and goes. Sometimes in
isolation I can produce it easily, other times (like now, as I sit in
front of my computer making weird noises) it doesn't come at all. But
when I speak it I'm pretty sure I just get a uvular fricative.

The IPA signs for voiceless trills are just the signs for normal
trills with the voiceless diacritic: /r̊ ʀ̊/. I hope that comes
through, it's an <r> and a small capital <R> with empty rings above.
Can you flap? I find it easier than trilling and when I'm lazy I just
use the flap everywhere there should be trills. The only advice for
trilling, which you've probably heard already, is to prolong a flap.

James

--
(This is my signature.)