On 31 August 2013 00:26, C. Brickner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> That seems to be right.  My problem in Senjecas is that I have no word for
> "that" in this context.  I could say "I am sure", then "He is going", but
> that doesn't seem to show the relationship between the two sentences. I
> can't say "Estoy seguro QUE el va(vaya?).  Of course, in English we often
> drop the "that": "I'm sure he's going".
> Charlie

French simply uses "que": _je suis sûr qu'il va partir_. Although quite
common are noun complements introduced by "de": _je suis sûr de son départ_
("I'm sure of his departure"), as well as infinite clauses also introduced
with "de": _je suis content de te revoir_: "I'm happy to see you again".
This makes those constructions different from object clauses as used by
verbs like "to know" or "to believe", since those don't allow the infinite
clause alternative.
If Senjecas has the ability to form infinite clauses, you might want to use
them in those contexts. If it doesn't, that might not be a problem: Modern
Greek cannot make infinite clauses anyway (since it has hardly any
non-finite verbal forms), and handles the "I'm sure" case just as it
handles the "I know" case: by using a completive clause introduced by ότι
or πως: _ξέρω ότι..._: "I know that..." vs. _είμαι βέβαιος ότι..._: "I am
sure that..."

All in all, it's actually a very interesting question, and one I don't have
the answer to (yet) for Moten. Moten can handle subclauses in the following
positions:
- as noun modifiers (relative subclauses);
- as verb arguments (completive subclauses, morphologically identical to
relative subclauses, including both indirect speech and "I know that..."
territory);
- as adverbial adjuncts (a different construction, yet related to how one
forms adverbial noun phrases).
There's also the "I don't know _who that is_" type, which in English is
handled like indirect speech, i.e. "I ask who..." and "I know who..." are
parallel constructions (it's not just an English peculiarity, Japanese does
exactly the same), but not in Moten (which uses nominalised relative
clauses instead, turning "I know who that is" into "I know the one that
is").
However, I'm not quite sure what the status of the subclause in "I am sure
that..." is. If it's a complement, then the complement of what? "Sure"? "Am
sure"? What does it complete? It's not even like something like "it is
great that...", where the "it" subject is really a dummy and the subclause
is the actual subject of the verb (thus a completive subclause). It doesn't
work with "I am sure" since "I" is definitely *not* a dummy subject.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/