> If it is derived from 'herr man", then I guess it got to the
> Romans through Celtic intermediaries.  Any sound changes
> would have occurred, possibly in a Chinese whispers effect,
> along the route.

Quite, though I'd suspect something a little older, maybe
something closer to harjamanniz.

>>   If it were a borrowing, what might you
>> have expected, something like *xermanus
>> or something like that?

> I would expect *hermanus or, maybe, *chermanus.

I think *ch- is what I was thinking of.

Well, there do appear to be Celtic cognates of *harjaz, so perhaps
Caesar got hold of a Celtic word of some sort.

Naturally, misapplied to sore throated and by now pharyngitic
Germans who could not enunciate a sensible rebuttal to
Caesar's improper appelation!

> IIRC I've come across the Belgae designated variously as
> Germanic, Celtic or mixed (not sure what the very latest thinking is).

Yes, I've come across that as well.

> > And Pennsylvania!

> Darn it - yes, I forget the Pennsylvanian Dutch (from Westphalia IIRC?).

Lancaster, actually. ;)))

Seriously, according to the Font of All Knowledge, Pennsylvania
Germans came mostly from Alsace, Palatinate and Switzerland.

Padraic