On 08/09/2013 18:20, Padraic Brown wrote:
>>> Quite, though I'd suspect something a little older,
>
>>> maybe something closer to harjamanniz.
>>
>> Well, yes ... Obviously the German of the 1st
>> millennium BC was somewhat different   ;)
>
> Only somewhat!

Typical British understatement      ;)

[snip]

>> Outidic was inspired by Labbé's 17th century "Lingua
>> Universalis."  Of names of peoples & nations he wrote:
>> "Nomina habitantium regiones provincias &c. prius
>> quærenda sunt, ut ex iis loca ipsa formentur aliaque ex
>> iis deriventur" (names of those inhabiting regions,
>> provinces &c. are to be sought first so that from them
>>  may be formed the places themselves and other things
>> may be derived."  He give as an example:
>> Franc = a French person
>> Francè = France
>> Francì = French [adj.] etc.
>
> There is something to be lauded in this: short, sweet and
> to the point!

Typical of Labbé's language.  I find it quite attractive in
an odd way.  It is AFAIK the earliest attempt (1663) at an
a_posteriori auxlang, eked out with a_priori elements - a
tradition which, of course, we find continued much later in
Volapük (1879/80) and not completely abandoned in Esperanto
(1887).  But I'm probably straying into Auxlandia territory
here, so I'd better stop.

--
Ray