2013/9/11 Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>:
[...]
>> Many French people I have met usually find strange that university
>> "teachers" are called  "professor" in Brazil, even young Master
>> students working as substitutes ("professor substituto").
>>

> That's because in France, as well as in the Netherlands and I believe in
> most (all?) Western European universities (and I believe the US have
> similar rules, although I'm not sure about that), "professor" is a title
> you must earn through your work (like "doctor" is a title you can only use
> if you have a Ph.D.), rather than a job description. In fact, it's
> completely unrelated to whether you're even teaching at all, instead being
> dependent on the level of your research work and complex university
> politics (at least as I understood it when I was in uni). In fact, you can
> even get stripped of your professorial title in case of some forms of
> misconduct (I actually know someone who was a professor at the lab I was
> working in in 2001-2003 --attached to the University of Delft-- who's been
> stripped of his title since then. I don't know the exact reasons why he
> lost his title of professor, but I can tell you from my experience with him
> that it was long due...)

Actually, even some Brazilians think I'm too young to be "professor"
in a university, and many think I'm too young to have a Dr title as
well. Some people think I'm a physician (Dr) and if I say that I'm an
PhD, they become even more astonished, because they think that PhD is
some kind of "foreign post-doc title" that only great genius, just
like those sci-fi movies genius, have. That's because the title "PhD"
doesn't exist in Brazilian education system.

But even being so much easy to be called "professor" in Brazil, most
university professors are still really older than 40. But, since
Lula's Reuni program, there have been more young professors in
Brazilian universities.

But I'm "professor" (teacher) since I was 19. I was just an
"undergraduate" student ("estudante de graduação"), but there was a
shortage of true Physics teacher in remote places. And, as it was an
adult education secondary course, most students were older than me.

>> I have to explain that I'm kind of their "maître de conférence",
>> otherwise they can't believe that a 32 years old guy can be a
>> professor    .
>>

> Yeah, getting a title of professor before the age of 40 is actually
> considered quite a feat. Most people who get it only get it after 20 to 30
> years of experience in their field of study (which starts only *after* they
> got their Ph.D.).

So, I think that your "Professeur" is equivalent to our "Professor
Titular" or "Livre-Docente".

> Now I finally understand why a good friend of mine (a Brazilian guy working
> at the University of São Paolo, only 3 years older than me) could brag of
> having received a title of professor years ago! And me thinking he was such
> a genius! ;)

Maybe he's a genius, anyway. :-)

> I have a title as well BTW. Won through hard work and getting my
> university-level engineering diploma :). Maybe I should use it more often
> :P.

:-)