I have seen Bier blocks used without problems. However the literature on npo status is also replete with support for sedating without concern for when the kid ate. I think sedating with ketamine, versed and fentanyl is very different than GA and so is the risk of aspiration. Be cautious about the bier blocks bc of the low therapeutic index and risk of cuff failure. Alternative like an ancillary block or hematoma block are also viable options

Marty
Dr herman

Sent from my iPhone

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html