Hi-- nicely done, well explained. It does strike me that a lot of the characters are very similar and could be hard to read....If a cursive version were to develop, that could be a problem, no?

It seems to me that terran writing systems did mostly develop from pictographic elements  for record keeping-- once "organized" religions and governments developed, and it was necessary for the priests/officials to know how much stuff they had. Or from pictographs of objects like carts, vases/amphorae, grains, birds, mountains, water etc...  cf. Egyptian hieroglyphs and some Chinese characters. Then, IIRC, some of the characters were chosen for their phonetic value (e.g.I think the Egyptian character for "house" was _per_ or some such, and that became the letter "p" when writing out names. Semitic/Hebrew aleph is supposed to represent an ox's head, and that image even affected the Indic-- later Devanagari-- letter for "a".

I'm just nattering on off the top of my head, but it's always been something of interest to me.

________________________________
From: George Marques de Jesus <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 12:13 AM
Subject: Xiis, my first writing system

After a long time of frustration trying to create the font for it, I
finally completed Xiis, a writing system for my conlang Fóm (which is still
a draft). I have to tell that I'm not completely satisfied with it, but at
least it's possible to actually write something using the computer keyboard.

I made a PDF with description and it can be found here:
http://georgemarques.com.br/xiis.pdf

George Marques
http://georgemarques.com.br