> Now, from what you say below, the ambiguity that your system currently
> enjoys may be (nomen omen) a blessing. That, in turn, can be taken as an
> argument for the minimalistic solution that I have suggested: don't go for
> a different markup mechanism, just use a different (non-TEI) namespace for
> the @altid.

Well, at this point I think that the adoption of TEI @corresp (with all its
ambiguities and limits as pointed out by Lou) would be as minimalistic as
the the inclusion of the foreign @altid, without the complication of
modifying the schema and adding all the namespace stuff. In a sense, it
would even be a more correct way to go in a (informal) semantic sense,
since @altid seems to connotate a sort of alternate identifier of the local
element (kind of a contradiction IMHO, since an ID should be unique at
least in a given namespace) while its meaning in the context of Christian
project (for what I can see) is that of a relationship of some kind with
other textual segments.

So in the end I'd go with transforming @altid in @tei.corresp, which is
moreover present in most of the elements.

My one cent...

Fabio