We can't see the original, but I'm guessing that there is no
straightforward translation relationship between paragraph 1 and 2.
Rather, 1 is vaguely lexico-grammatical in the source language (right?
xml:lang?), and 2 is a paraphrase in the target language. Or I
misunderstand.

I'd consider using <ab> instead of <p>, to minimize the interpretational
flavour.

Other than that, it's hard to tell, not enough data...

Best,

   Piotr