The main list was created in a couple of hours using google search, over a period of time (I'm currently a full time parent). The search was aided by the fact that there are some TEI tags that are pretty much unique to TEI and the use of -site: to eliminate sites I'd already got samples from.

As to why, I'm still of the opinion that the standard needs more real life examples taken from real TEI usage. See for example my feature request 474. The way to get these is by looking at a wide range of TEI, thus this list.

Cheers
Stuart