Il 22/11/2013 11:16, Lou Burnard ha scritto:
>   On 22/11/13 10:08, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
>> . The message that should be conveyed is that
>>   a) of course TEI P4 documents are TEI documents, but
>>   b) they will continue to be useful and used only for as long the
>> necessary technologies will continue work, which is why
>>   c) you're *strongly* encouraged 1. not to use versions different
>> from the current standard for new projects, and 2. to migrate existing
>> documents to the current version (unless you've particular needs, your
>> setup is simple and going to last forever, etc.); a particular accent
>> should go on the fact that, even if TEI XML is going to last forever,
>> the required XML tools to make use of it may not, and that's not TEI
>> responsibility;
>>

> That all sounds entirely correct to me, though I wish I knew how to
> disseminate this message better/more effectively.

Perhaps a good starting point could be an expansion of the introductory
text you're presented with on the TEI site (home page is half empty
anyway ;); or an expanded, more new-user-friendly introduction linked
straight from the same page. I've always appreciated that the TEI site
is concise and functional, but I guess that fundamental issues should
have more prominence.

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Studi           rosselli at ling.unipi.it
Umanistici                      Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)