Hi Saašha,

On 13-11-23 03:01 PM, Saašha Metsärantala wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have not been able to be active on this list for a while, but I am
> back now :-) and I hope to be active again!
>
>> If a file validates, then it is perfect.
> Maybe ... if the schema is perfect, which it seldom is! Let's keep in
> mind the following fundamental insight applying to any non-trivial XML
> vocabulary I know of: An instance XML document which does not validate
> is suboptimal, but an instance document needs more than just validate to
> be considered optimal (except in extremely trivial XML vocabularies, but
> I do not consider that TEI is trivial).
>
> There is a huge number of XML vocabularies. When I come in contact with
> a new XML vocabulary, I almost always feel disappointed about not
> finding a SHORT summary presenting this vocabulary for XML experts. The
> TEI was no exception at all: I did not find any one-page-long document
> called something similar to "A short introduction to TEI for XML
> experts" (assuming a good knowledge of XSLT, xs: datatypes, namespace
> techniques, customizations, etc.). Such a document would be extremely
> welcome by (thousands of) XML-acquainted people who want to check
> whether (and maybe discover that) TEI may be useful for their purposes.

I wonder if Wikipedia would be a good place for such a thing. The
current TEI page:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_Encoding_Initiative>

is still a slightly odd compromise between detailed instances of tagging
and a quick gloss of some high-level technical info (mea culpa -- I see
I was working on it myself a while ago).

But in all honesty, it's hard to capture the purpose, range and
technical sophistication of TEI in a single page. The fact that
customization is so front-and-centre in our toolset arises out of the
complexity and range of humanities documents, and some understanding of
the userbase and range of needs is really essential; someone who is an
"XML expert" but not a humanist would most likely be puzzled by this
without substantial background information.

Cheers,
Martin