Dear Christian,

I can't speak in great detail to the TEI markup and data model you
suggest below, but it occurs to me that there might be parallels between
and value in exploring compatibility with the markup devised for similar
purposes by the Sharing Ancient Wisdoms (SAWS) project: see
http://www.ancientwisdoms.ac.uk/

One of the aims of this project is to encode multiple mediaeval and
ancient texts, some of which are collections of fragments of earlier
texts, align them to various translations (close or loose) and to other
texts of which they various segments might be copies, paraphrases,
translations, or merely influenced by.

To this end they used (1) CTS URNs (as URIs) for all texts and segments
of texts, enabling pointing in both directions with minimal overhead in
terms of intervention and insertion of ids in the text; (2) an ontology
of text object and relationship types, described at
http://www.ancientwisdoms.ac.uk/media/ontology/SAWS_relationship_types.html
(probably overkill for your purposes, but a minimal subset of it would
be easy to devise); (3) a series of `tei:relation` elements to define
the relationships between texts, places, persons, and other objects in
the corpus.

I'm not involved in either project, but as a glance it seems to me that
a model along these lines might well work for the issues you are
describing too. If you're interested in more information, I believe one
or two of the SAWS developers are on this list (and they can probably
correct some of my comments above, too).

Regards,

Gabby

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD