Dear Oliver

Following up on Elena Piearazzo's comments, on the likely problems of using <line> with other TEI mark-up -- you have a very simple solution. Use <lb/>.

One might comment, as I have elsewhere, that it was a mistake for the editors of P5 to choose to include the system for encoding genetic editions developed by Pierazzo and others under the rubric "Representation of Primary Sources", with the clear implication that this should be used for transcription of all manuscript materials.  If you need to use <rs> etc (not to mention information on the intellectual structure -- the poems, verse lines, chapters etc of what you are encoding), so that text disposition on the page and writing acts are not all-important, then you should not use this system.

Peter

Peter Robinson
Bateman Professor of English
#311, Arts Building, 9 Campus Drive, University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon SK S7N 5A5, Canada
ph. (+1) 306 966 5491