Dear Lou,

thank you very much for this suggestion. @key seems indeed to be close to
my @altid, and I would like to use it for this purpose, but I haven't
figured out a schema-conformant way to employ it. According to
tei_allPlus.rng, key and ref seem to be restricted to elements such as
<name>, but not be applicable to structure elements within the text. So,
what kind of structure element would be both compatible with @key and
roughly correspond to what Resnik rendered as <div> (bible chapters, could
remain div in TEI) and <seg> (bible verses, most likely l or p in TEI,
maybe span) ?

Another idea I had was to use <link targets="..."/> and to provide
resolvable URIs for the verses. Still not an optimal solution, because it
does not provide sufficiently restrictive semantics, but this would create
only one new element and one attribute for the entire set of cross
references per line, verse or whatever, so l < r/2 new nodes in the
document (with l being the number of elements with cross-references and r
the number of cross-references).

Any alternative suggestions ? Any idea how to make use of @key ?
Christian

--