Hello list,

From the department of curiosities:

In one of the texts weíre editing, acute accents in red have been added to a base letter in black. Iím not sure whether this should work, but when I try to encode this as:
      e<seg style="color:red">&#x0301;</seg>
(which uses the combining character acute accent)
Sebastianís stylesheets create
     e<span style="color:red">ž</span>
and I was pleasantly surprised that the major browsers understand that in spite of the intervening markup, the combining accent belongs to the preceding character. Chrome even displays the character and accent in the correct colours! (IE and Firefox donít).

Would you think this behaviour (merging of character and combining accent in spite of intervening markup) is something that we can rely on? Would you expect browsers to develop better support for characters and accents in different colours?

Peter