For what it's worth, we deal with the issue of having line breaks within
referencing strings by splitting them into multiple <rs> elements, which
are joined together again by @next and @prev. I'm not sure if linguists
would say that such a <rs> fragment already constitutes a "referencing
string" though.
That being said, the <seg> solution we're using is indeed an "abusive
workaround", so I'd support the feature request to allow <rs> directly
within <line>.

--
Martin de la Iglesia
Metadata and Data Conversion

Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Göttingen State and University Library
D-37073 Göttingen

Papendiek 14 (Historical Building, Room 1.602)
+49 551 39-14070 (Tel.)
+49 551 39-3468 (Fax)

http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/