Oliver

Von: TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Peter Robinson
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. November 2013 16:13
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [TEI-L] Using <rs> in documentary markup

Dear Oliver

Following up on Elena Piearazzo's comments, on the likely problems of using
<line> with other TEI mark-up -- you have a very simple solution. Use
<lb/>.

Indeed, in general, unless you are working in the rather rarefied world of
genetic manuscript transcriptions, where indeed the precise and efficient
representation of how exactly the text appears on the page (and, in what
order it was written, etc) is all-important, you are generally better off
giving you access to <rs> and loads else. Of course, using <lb/> to indicate
line breaks, as opposed to <line> to hold the content of the line, presents
other challenges: it makes the styling of each individual line of text
somewhat more difficult to achieve -- difficult, but not impossible.

One might comment, as I have elsewhere, that it was a mistake for the
editors of P5 to choose to include the system for encoding genetic editions
developed by Pierazzo and others under the rubric "Representation of Primary
Sources", with the clear implication that this should be used for
transcription of all manuscript materials.  If you need to use <rs> etc (not
to mention information on the intellectual structure -- the poems, verse
lines, chapters etc of what you are encoding), so that text disposition on
the page and writing acts are not all-important, then you should not use
this system.

Peter