Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a project that's encoding political cartoons using TEI (using <zone> to create clickable images with pop-up text), and we've run into two big questions relatively early in the project.

1. We'd like to be able to distinguish between an entity being depicted in a cartoon versus being mentioned in the cartoon's text. These are our top contenders for ways to do this, and we'd love feedback about which seems best and/or easiest. (And any other suggestions!)

2. We want to encode fictional characters and symbols to make a symbol-ography, distinct from the personography of people who actually lived. Is this best done just using <list> or is there some other element we can use or create? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

Sarah Newhouse
Digital Projects Associate
Historical Society of Pennsylvania