Dear Alexei and all,
Oops! Yes, of course you're right--This is what comes of reading the TEI
guidelines on the fly and thinking of "character" in terms of literary
characters (ha!). And of course <c> does not contain anything but <g>.

However, is <text> permissible inside <line>? On closer look, I'm not
seeing it. It looks like you can mark <s> for sentences (or <cl> for
but what options are there currently?

Elisa