It doesn't do too terribly translating English to Spanish, and that is
more than a relex. I'm not an expert in Apertium so my opinions are
uniformed, but what I have read so far tells me this is more that what
you suggest. If I thought it would end up being nothing more than a
relex I wouldn't waste my time.

You might dig a little deeper into it before dismissing it as trivial.
These early papers, for example:
http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/docum/corbibellot05p.pdf
http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/docum/sanchezmartinez07p.pdf
http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~fsanchez/pub/thesis/thesis-sin.pdf

I think you will find that it is far more than a mere relexing engine.

--gary