It was interesting to see the reference to Occitan.

I first came across Occitan many years ago, when I spent a year (1971-72)
in Bordeaux, where I was in touch with a group called Cercle des Jeunes
Occitanistes. It was made clear to me then that this language is itself
something of a construct.I attended an evening class in the language in
Montauban about four years ago, where much of the discussion centred on "In
my village"..."

.

“Occitan is fundamentally defined by its dialects, rather than being a
unitary language “ (Wikipedia). This was what people have confirmed to me
many times over the decades. Indeed, some speakers of what is now called
Occitan deny that they speak the language at all. They say that they
speak  Gascon,
Provençal or, simply “le patois”.

Again to cite Wikipedia,  “Standard Occitan, also called occitan larg
(i.e., 'wide Occitan') is a synthesis that respects and admits soft
regional adaptations (which are based on the convergence of previous
regional koines)”.

As we know, Wikipedia is not perfect and has to be used with care. It has a
section on “Occitan people”, a concept alien to most people I have spoken
to.

 Bill Chapman,