Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>  Anyway, I did the test again (also with still accurate options) and got placed
>>  in Richmo-Bosnywash. At least they got the correct megalopolis this time!
>
>>  Probably because of "hero". Should try again with "tonic" (still a known, if
>>  rarely used, term) and see where that goes. Hm. Well, something went
>>  screwy as I now end up in Durham NC.
>
> Strange, I live near Durham and haven't heard "tonic" around here.

Sorry for the confusion: I was expecting "tonic" to put me most strongly at the
northern end of that continuum. "Tonic" indeed isn't heard commonly around
here either.

I'm not actually certain what placed me in Durham this time around! I think it
just randomly assigns a pretty red-n-blue map and makes up place names as
it goes along. The more times I take it, the more I think it's an utterly useless
activity. At worst, a misleading one!

>>  Clearly, if the same person can answer the same set of questions thrice,
>>  each time with accurate but different answers, then there must be something
>>  weird about the questionnaire. I should think the inconsistency would invalidate
>>  the data.
>
> It's looking pretty unreliable. It did pick Grand Rapids as one of the
> three closest cities again. The other two this time were Lincoln,
> Nebraska and Spokane, Washington. There's a big area of deep red around
> the whole state of Michigan (most similar) and a deep blue area in
> southern New Jersey (least similar). But there's a large area of red
> stretching all the way from Kansas to Washington, and only a few patches
> of pale blue in the southeast and New England.
>
> This time for the pill bug question I picked "roly poly", and
> "tennis shoes" for "sneakers".
>
> The pronunciation questions seem more reliable. This time around I got
> questions on the pronunciation of "been", "pajamas", and
> "aunt".

You didn't get those before? I've gotten those three questions each time.

> There's certainly a few questions that don't have a clear answer.

A lot! Too many questions have so many possible answers, I wonder that
they can glean anything useful from the question. Especially since I can only
choose one answer! Like with the large roads question: there's like four or
five answers in that list that are valid for me.

> Between "mountain lion", "cougar", and "puma", I
> might use either of the first two interchangeably.

I don't know what any of those are. They're all just "wildcat" for me. ;) And
that's not an available option.

>I picked "cougar", which puts me in
> Washington state. "A big road on which you drive relatively fast" could
> be a highway or a freeway, without any clear distinction in my usage.

Of course, around here, that could very well be answered by "residential
street"! ;)))))

> Either "roundabout" or "traffic circle" is a word that I
> might use (such intersections are uncommon most places where I've lived, but I've seen
> them in New Hampshire).

Circles of Death and Mayhem. DC is riddled with the things and no one has yet,
after two hundred bloody years, sorted out how to drive in the things. Apart from
"approach at speed and dodge anyone that looks like they're headed straight for you"!
Well, that largely describes *any* amount of driving in town. Cross over Western Av,
and everything becomes (relatively) sane again...

Heck we even have six lane roundabouts that aren't even controlled by traffic lights!

>"What do you call an easy high school or college
> class?" needs an option for "I have no word for this". The
> "other" option for that question has two distinct geographical areas.

I'm not sure how (or why) "other" would elicit specific geographical areas.

Padraic