Stevp-- How long have you lived in  Birmingham, Richmond, and Greensboro? Things can rub off on you even in a short time. (I had a bit of a southern r-less accent after a year in South Carlina-- abetted by several years at Hahvahd). Also, Indiana (at least the southern part) and southern Ohio are all i the Southern dialect area. And I think I've even heard some southern-isms out in Arizona too.,,....