I would have thought it’s because students were expected to learn classical languages in college (were they at the time?), and so having to translate sentences in a foreign language with the help of grammar and vocabulary notes would give an indication of how good they’d be at Greek or Latin.

(An aside: I once took a course on Indo-European where each week we were given a passage in an ancient Indo-European language, together with vocabulary and grammar notes, and asked to translate it in full—needless to say, with no prior knowledge of the language, or at least none expected. That’s what made me think of this explanation.)

Siva

Sent with Mail Pilot