I think Siva has it about right (though I think s/he is European, right?)-- certainly when  I was in high school in the late 40s-early 50s, Latin was de rigueur for entrance into all the Ivy League schools, most private colleges, and I think even some State universities. So ability to figure out a "foreign" lang. would not have been unexpected.

(That Indo-Eur. course sounds interesting !! We did no such things in the one I took :-((( )