Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks! This is a tuning I've been meaning to use for a while now, but I
> was just starting to get the hang of it when I wrote this arrangement.
> It has a lot of potential, and I think it could work as a real guitar
> tuning for a refretted guitar if you tune the strings in thirds instead
> of fourths. Something like G B D# G B D# might work.

Or alternatively, you could simply use a fretless guitar. Save yourself the
trouble and expense of doing all that work. That way, if you come up
with a tuning scheme from another related culture, you can use the same
instrument.

> Maybe next year I could work out the rest of the verses. After the first
> verse and the chorus came together so well, I started running into
> difficulties with the translation. Song lyrics aren't the easiest things
> to translate. Coming up with words for "frankincense" and
> "myrrh" weren't the worst of the problems.
>
> I decided by the way that "incense" is "lughiłukhk", literally "holy smoke".

:)

Translating from culture to culture is not always the easiest and sometimes
things just don't work.

> Herman

Padraic