Casey Borders <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I read a sentence on Facebook that was something like this:
>
> "All of the training he had had had had no effect on his performance."
>
> When I say this the first "had" in each pair sounds more like
> "hid." I've
> noticed that it's also true with other repeated words.
>
> "I tried to buy the book that that was based on."
>
> Again the first "that" sounds more like "thit." Is this a result of
> stressing it differently? Or my accent (Midwest)? Or is this true across
> the board?

I think it's just a matter of stress accentuation. I tend to have some sort of
schwa in the unstressed word of the pair and a full(er) vowel in the stressed
one.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was pretty common.

The same goes for any word in that position: "All of the training he would have had had
had no effect on his performance." It gets a reduced schwa of the "u" variety. Something
like [wEd] . Maybe that upside-down v. Definitely not the same vowel as in "I w˛uld
definitely have trained him differently..." That, I'm pretty certain, has some kind of glide
element in it that the reduced version lacks. Maybe something almost like [wuId].

Padraic