Just in the process of writing review article on Concussion and this would
strike me as a TBI/Concussion.  CT scans are useless in evaluating these
sorts of injuries and MRI's are often the same.  It's based on extensive
neurological evaluation and the persistence of symptoms despite a
"negative" evaluation (i.e. CT scan etc).

Interestingly, the "force" associated with the actual blow is often not
perceived to be that "severe" but you will often find that it involves a
sudden back-to-front movement with a rotational aspect.  Part of the reason
that there has been serious push back by many to the concussion and CTE
research is that many of the injuries that are associated with these issues
have historically been perceived as not significant and that all the person
needs to do is shake it off (being "stunned" after "heading" a soccer ball!)

Final note: one of my favorite teaching points for the residents is "always
consider the uncommon presentation of a common illness  before the common
presentation of an uncommon illness".

Just my thoughts...hope it's helpful.

Mike Falk
New York, NY