Typically, we will place a foley in the ED. Once in place, they will go to the Ultrasuond dept for the study.

Anthony Pickett, M.D.
Dept. of Emergency Medicine
Phoenix Children's Hospital
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Weiner, Evan J [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 1:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Pelvic Ultrasound

Hi everyone,

Our department is evaluating our protocol for female Transabdominal Pelvic Ultrasonography, specifically how to get the bladder full in a timely fashion.  This is for patients that cannot get a Transvaginal ultrasound.
If your ED has a protocol or standard practice for achieving this, I'd really appreciate it.

Specifically,
1. Do you bolus a specific amount of IV fluid within a certain time-frame?
2. If not NPO, does your patient drink a certain amount of fluid within a certain time-frame?
3. Do you place a foley catheter to fill the bladder if not filled within a certain time-frame?
4. Do you defer urine testing until after the Ultrasound study, so that the patient does not empty bladder before filling it back up?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Evan J Weiner MD FAAP FACEP FAAEM
Interim Director
Department of Emergency Medicine
Program Director, PEM Fellowship
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children
3601 A Street
Philadelphia, PA 19134
215-427-6089
fax 215-427-4668

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html
This transmission, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of the intended recipient (s) and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary, legally privileged, or otherwise
protected by law from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use,
copying, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not
the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering
this to an addressee, you should notify the sender immediately by
telephone or by reply e-mail, and destroy all copies of the