Hi everyone,

Our department is evaluating our protocol for female Transabdominal Pelvic Ultrasonography, specifically how to get the bladder full in a timely fashion.  This is for patients that cannot get a Transvaginal ultrasound.
If your ED has a protocol or standard practice for achieving this, I'd really appreciate it.

Specifically,
1. Do you bolus a specific amount of IV fluid within a certain time-frame?
2. If not NPO, does your patient drink a certain amount of fluid within a certain time-frame?
3. Do you place a foley catheter to fill the bladder if not filled within a certain time-frame?
4. Do you defer urine testing until after the Ultrasound study, so that the patient does not empty bladder before filling it back up?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Evan J Weiner MD FAAP FACEP FAAEM
Interim Director
Department of Emergency Medicine