On Sat, Jan 04, 2014 at 01:58:42AM -0500, MorphemeAddict wrote:
> Aren't the definitions of "vowel" and "consonant" dependent on the
> amount of obstruction in the airway, with vowels having none and
> consonants having some? By such definitions, none of m, l, n, f, r, ng
> is a vowel.
[...]

I think RA Brown got it right. There's a difference between phonetic
vowels/consonants (vocoids/contoids), defined by the amount of
obstruction in the airway, and phonological vowels/consonants
(peaks/margins of a syllabic segment). I picked out these examples
specifically because Gary appears to be conflating the two concepts,
which fail to coincide in these cases.

WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data On Whole System -- CompuMan