On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 06/01/2014 00:25, And Rosta wrote:
>
>> Adam Walker, On 05/01/2014 23:47:
>>
>>> I don't at all like the buffetlang image and find it
>>> wholly inappropriate to the task. HOWEVER, your use of
>>> the word chimera makes me think that therin might lie
>>> the perfect word for these beasties -- chimeralangs.
>>> That us rather what they are Latin disguised as Polish
>>> or German or Welsh through the uniting of two
>>> disparate animals. What say the group?
>>>

>> That's perfect! Not merely the least unsatisfactory, but
>> downright apt.
>>

> Is it?  The chimera was not one animal disguised as another.
>  It was a composite of three animals: lion, goat and serpent.
>
> It was generally depicted as a lion, with a goat's head
> rising from the lion's back, and with the tail as a serpent,
> with the head of the serpent at the tip of the tail.  thus
> the chimera had three heads   :)
>
> These langs have a base (usually, but not necessarily,
> [Vulgar] Latin) onto which an alien phonological development
> has been grafted.  I still think that of all suggestions so
> far, "graftlang" is the most appropriated.

My thinking is that these conlangs are chimeras (in one of the dictionary
senses of the term) in that they are imaginary monsters fusing incongruous
parts, Language X as the starting point and the diachronic phonology of
Language Y applied to it. I see that in another message you see the essence
of these conlangs as involving one language masquerading as another, which
would also provide warrant for the _bogolang_ term. I had earlier been
thinking of hybridity as an essential characteristic, but had refrained
from suggesting a term based on _hybrid_ because natlangs can be hybrid,
whereas the conlangs in question are ones where  there is a fundamental
incongruity of the formative elements; hence the perceived aptness of
_chimera_.

I'm only really musing aloud on this topic, tho, not trying to argue for a
particular understanding of these conlangs. Unlike the artlang/engelang
distinction, which I think is fundamental to an understanding of
conlanging, _bogo-/graft-/chimera-/masque-_ is just a genre label.

--And.