On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:43:39 +0000, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Though it is my impression that creators of the various
>bogolangs that followed in the wake of Brithenig merely
>applied their phonetic development (whether Gaelic, High
>Germanic, Low Germanic, West Slavonic or whatever) simply
>to Vulgar Latin, without being over-specific about a
>regional variant of VL.  Indeed, one such bogolang IIRC
>actually applied the sound changes to Classical Latin!

Are you referring to Jovian with that last statement?  If so,
could you explain your definition of a bozolang? It strikes
me as a rather offensive term.

For the record, Jovian's sound changes are not copied from
any existing language. Its overall sound is designed to evoke
the Alemannic substrate of the Alsace region, but it reaches
that goal through phonological evolution that I find sensible
and naturalistic (from my non-professional point of view).  It
also includes a lot of grammatical and idiomatic innovation.

The fact that it is chiefly based on Classical Latin is justified
con-historically by a few generations of nobility who declared
the Vulgar Latin of the people distasteful (lingua bovis) and
strove to speak Classical Latin at court instead (lingua Jovis).
This then trickled down to the general population with time,
as did the Norman vocabulary in English. (I admit I introduced
this device simply because I only had access to Classical
Latin vocabulary when I started Jovian, but nowadays I
enjoy the way in which Jovian breaks the tired Romlang
clich├ęs.)

Cheers,

Christian