George Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this list.
>
> I wanted to announce that I've put online for free a complete corpus with
> decipherment notes for Fromkin's Pakuni as well as a dictionary ( wordlist )
> of the unique words in the same :
>
> https://app.box.com/s/gh5my7i3ztlet8wmjs2t

Thank you for posting this. LotL, while not exactly the "mega hit" you

claim of it, is indeed a cult classic, and has always had its die hard fans.
Further, it is indeed quite interesting for our community on account of

it being one of the few television shows or movies to use a real conlang.

And it is arguably the first instance of an intelligently designed conlang

in the media (tv, cinema, print) outside of Tolkien. The producers (Krofft)
did in fact engage the services of a real life linguistician (Fromkin) for the

work.

Couple comments. First, I just want you to know that I did actually read quite
a lot of what you wrote. You might consider making an actual web page or
placing these documents in a wiki or something. PDFs and DOCs floating around

couldcontain viruses or malware and that's asking for trouble. I wouldn't open any

of your documents at home or on any computer that doesn't have robust malware

protection. Just saying. I don't know who you are or what your motives may be and

want others to be aware.

Second, please tone down the egotism. It's currently set on 17, and that's about
25 notches too high. It doesn't play well. Especially here.

"Here's rough draft versions of two major documents from my recent ground-breaking
work deciphering Fromkin's Pakuni conlang from 1974-1977's Land of the Lost.  I got
much further than anyone before me, and even deciphered all the pseudo-conlang done
by Jorma for the 2009 Land of the Lost movie ( included in other documents not put
online yet)"

So, now that I've finished barfing over your self-serving and other-deprecating prose,
I would just note that what you've written do not constitute "major" documents. What you've
got here is some basic notes and source materials from which some kind polished document
could eventually be written. Your work isn't "ground breaking". Ground breaking is what
happens when you're the first one to document a conlang. Someone else (Olsen) already

did the ground breaking work. At best, you're coming along to rearrange the furniture. Land

of the Lost was nowhere close to being a "mega hit". It is indeed a cult classic, though, and
has long had a strong fan base. You really haven't gone "much further" than Olsen's previous

work, if only because there's not much of the language to begin with, so it's not like you can

really get a whole lot farther than anyone else. A lot of the work you're doing has been done

already to a great extent, and your disparagement of that work (Olsen's et al) doesn't do you

much credit. Either here or with the amiable public you'd like to write for. Lastly, Pakuni
is about as UNinfluential as you can get. Many folks aren't even aware of its existence. It
has nothing like the market share of Sindarin or Klingon or even Dothraki or Na'avi. Given
that you could only the work of one other interested fan online is indicative of the likelihood
of this observation.

Frankly, I got real tired of your whining and complaining réal fast. It seems like no one has

ever done anything half so well as you could do, and when it suits, you complain of religious

persecution. (And I don't say that flippantly -- I do believe that Christians in general and
Catholics in particular are being harrassed and persecuted in modern American culture, but
I doubt very much the management of Zompist have booked time at the Flavian just for
you. Anyway, if you do condescend to continue with us mere mortals, you'll find zero religious

persecution here. Guaranteed.) It seems more like you're interested in airing your grievances

over your treatment at ZBB than you are in presenting data on a conlang. Guys like you dó

indeed get kicked out of places like ZBB, but it's not because of religious persecution. It's

probably more like because you have an ego the size of Texas and simply can't get along with

anyone else. But at least you've given us ample warning of what we can expect from you!

And oh joy --- all this ego tripping is "free" - what a wonderful deal!

Padraic