2013/12/31 Siva Kalyan <[log in to unmask]>

> Most Japanese female names end in -o (actually, -ko), though I haven’t
> heard of confusions caused by this. (I’ve heard that most Finnish names
> aren’t categorically male or female, only statistically so; this strikes me
> as weird, but then I suppose Finnish, unlike Sanskrit, doesn’t have
> grammatical gender.)
>
> Re Śivā: see
> http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.5:1:4783.apte
> .
>
> My name would be unambiguous if my family were from north India, in which
> case I’d be “Shiv” (and Śivā would be “Shiva", as expected).
>
> Siva
> --
> Siva Kalyan (♂)
> Sent with Airmail

When I was living in Spain I met several female names ending in -o, even
though Spanish (at least non-Basque) names are usually quite strict in
-o/masculine, -a/feminine. Amparo is quite common; it means "sanctuary,
shelter", while the name Rocío means "dew". I suppose the girl's names must
have come from Our Lady of El Rocío and something similar for Amparo.

Greets,
David

--
Yésináne gika asahukúka ha'u Kusikéla-Kísu yesahuwese witi nale lálu wíke
uhu tu tinitíhi lise tesahuwese. Lise yésináne, lina, ikéwiyéwa etinizáwa

http://njenfalgar.conlang.org/