staving Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets:
On 13 January 2014 14:07, Pete Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Is there a term for a single phone that is the surface realisation of two
> underlying phonemes that have undergone a synchronic merger? Happens quite
> a lot in iljena.
>
>  http://www.frathwiki.com/Iljena/Phonology

You mean like how voiced stops in German and Dutch are devoiced at the end
of words and end up identical in surface realisation to voiceless stops,
despite still being different phonemes? (as seen when suffixes are added)
The phenomenon is often called "neutralisation" (because the voicing
opposition is "neutralised" in a certain environment), so you might want to
call the resulting phone a "neutral phone". Otherwise, I'm not aware of a
specific term referring to the specific phone that results from
neutralisation.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets

No, by "merger" I meant the assimilation of two adjacent phonemes into a single sound, eg iljena's  [S] is underlyingly /sj/

--
Pete Bleackley