On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:58:09 -0800, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For Roman: I haven't looked at the link, but you're <quote> So _tlahtia_ might be freely translated with 'do the thing', the given
example sentence would be along the lines of 'When I got married, my
godfather did the thing'.</quote> isn't clear out of context.....  Your godfather did _what_ thing? Performed the ceremony? Gave you away? Acted as Best Man??

But that's the beauty of it: Nawatl culture by itself gives enough context that it _is_ clear!  Start with -tia 'do' -- okay, that gloss does capture the meagre, general semantics of the affix, but an even closer analogue in English might be N>V zero-derivation, which does have a (fuzzy) subtype of similar semantics exemplified in "mail" 'send mail to', "pepper" 'put pepper on', etc. -- anyway, seeing that affix deriving a noun we have a verb of giving, with a human object.  But culturally, there ìs only one important instance of giving to another person, which is giving garments to a godchild.  Given that, there is one very obvious canonical meaning for "When I got married, my godfather thinged me" to have, and it was obvious enough to lexicalise.

Alex