Ah, clusters.... BDGwr is different-- since *l [+alveolar] only occurred between vowels, the changes to palatal/velar [l]s depended on the surrounding vowels. *-ili- > -iLi and *-il# > -iL then **iy...and both ult. > [i:], while *l between any combo of *a and *u and/or *-a/ul# became velarized, ult. > [w]. Also, these changes were not categorical, since they arose from dialect mixing, so there are forms where *l  does not change. These new y's and w's merged with pre-existing *w/y. But [w] and [y] from whatever origin never reverted back to [l]-- a change I would consider unnatural.

Now, there are certainly many other Gwr languages, not yet discovered, where clusters might have developed, and that could change the whole game.

Hope this makes sense-- it's awfully early in the morning :-(((