> I have been thinking about the orthography of the new language (sodna
> lɛni, or SL). It currently uses IPA in a broad phonemic way, but I
> have been thinking about switching to an ascii or close to ascii
> orthography. The biggest stumbling block is the vowel system: I have
> 7. i, ɨ, u, e, o, ɛ, a. I have been thinking about using 'y' for i and
> 'i' for 'ɨ' because I anglicize the most common verb
> tɨŋi as 'tingy', but I don't like the idea of doing kiɬi as 'kylhy'. Any
> ideas?

That depends on what diphthongs SL allows.  If it only allows specific
ones, then you can define digraphs for vowels that will never occur
together.  This is akin to how English assigns "sh" for  ʃ, since the
combination /sh/ does not exist in English phonology.  This is the strategy
I used for Angosey.  I needed a way to represent ɯ, but I had already used
the letters "aeiou" for other vowels.  So I defined ɯ as the digraph "eu"
in Angosey, since the sound represented by "u" never occurs after the sound
represented by "e."  So any time I see "eu" I know it is ɯ.  Now, part of
the angst of my other recent post is that I came up with some other digraph
combinations pretty early on (10 years ago), and later "discovered" that
the diphthongs actually DID exist, leading to ambiguities.

It all comes down to how well defined your phonology is, I think.