2014/1/12 Pete Bleackley <[log in to unmask]>:

>    What you describe here sounds like a very accurate description of the
> Mexican "albur".  Albur consists of the same basic elements you mention, and
> is not limited to question-and-answer interactions, thought there are some
> questions that contain the double entendre already ("¿Cuántos pecados
> comete un chile?)".

Very interesting that Mexicans have a name for it! It's coherent with
the fact that Chespirito used lots of puns in his humour (although
almost never of sexual nature). In this example, he relates "B" to
"vé" and "la B" to "lavé":

LC (La Chilindrina): Pregúntale a mi papá con qué se escribe Valentin
EC (El Chavo): ¿Qué B?
DR (Don Ramón): ¡A ti que te importa!
EC: ¿Con qué B?
DR: Pues, con los ojos.
EC: La B.
DR: ¿Qué lavaste?
EC: La letra.
DR: ¿De qué canción?
LC: No, papi lo que quiere decir el Chavo es con qué B se escribe Valentín.
DR: ¿Es para el Chavo la carta?
LC: ¡Sí!
DR: ¡Pues, se escribe con B de bestia!

http://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/El_Chavo_del_Ocho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZWqE85vDTE

> There are also names for people ("Benito Camelo"),
> towns ("Tejeringo el Chico"), and much more ("Telas Poncho") that sound
> like dirty phrases.

I think I have more or less understood the hidden senses of these
ones. This is just like Brazilian "Jacinto Leite Capelo Rêgo" that's
formed only by legitimate surnames but that sounds like "já sinto
leite cá pelo rego" (I already feel milk here through the crack).

> There are also wise sayings that warn against certain
> effects, etc. I think it is practiced much more in central Mexico,
> especially Mexico City. You could look into it.

In Portuguese, I have found only the name "phonetic pun" for them:
http://revistapiaui.estadao.com.br/edicao-14/tipos-brasileiros/o-satiro-trocadilhista

The text above has dozens of these albures, but it's necessary to have
some knowledge on Brazilian Portuguese informal pronunciation and
vocabulary in order to relate "vinte comer" to "vir te comer",
"coador" to "cu a dor", "cozinho" to "cuzinho", "linho fio grosso" to
"lhe enfio o grosso" or "com mil teu" to "comi o teu".

When I was preparing to come* to France, I tried to find the
equivalent sentences in French in order to avoid people to take
advantage of my ignorance about French bad words to make fun of me.
But, as I couldn't find the equivalent jokes in other languages, and
not even the specific name for this in Portuguese, I wondered if
similar phenomena happened in other languages, and so this thread.

* : I think there are some sexual puns with this English word too.

>    Albures are so common that when you register your newborn baby there is
> a list in the registry office of which name combinations are not allowed,
> to help parents avoid public embarrassment.

Over here, I think that the judge can also refuse some names following
his/her own discretion, based on public embarrassment as well. This
has already caused some controversy... I remember a case where some
Afro-Brazilian of Candomblé religion wanted to give names that the
judge considered uncommon, funny and embarassing, but the family could
revert the decision based on cultural considerations.

> Ayam.

Até mais!

Leonardo