Me tobi yeni,

I just wanted to throw it out there that I too have worked out a "decipherment" of Pakuni which I affectionately refer to as my "Comprehensive Illustrated Pakuni Dictionary". It's comprehensive in the sense that it contains every word ever used in the show. It's illustrated in the sense that I've got examples of each word as it is used, and as it is translated in the various dictionaries and official sources that were published previously. I also include common mispronunciations of each word as used in the show.

I had the idea a few years ago that it would be fun to learn Pakuni since it "only had 300 words", but when I set out to gather materials to do this, I found that doing so was not a straight-forward task. I've since come to the conclusion that the "300 words" is also a myth. Lots of sources quote that number, but not one of them quote a source.

I've been on this list for quite some time but I don't always follow the discussions, so I was glad that "George Mann" (who goes by countless on-line aliases) also wrote to me directly (and to my friend Nels Olsen), and that one of the regulars here thought to bring George's post to my attention.

I've not looked over "George's" work in detail, but my initial impression is a bit like Padraic Brown's. I will say that there is some truth to what "George" says about the documentation of the language so far, in that the official versions are extremely superficial, and the detailed work has been done by people who are primarily fans of the show, and not really "language people". I was initially very excited to hear that a trained linguist had documented the show, but that was before I saw the documents - complete with rants and raves.

I was surprised that "George" did not mention the work of Clayton Barr, whose work was of huge value to me since I was able to compare my transcriptions to his, and then go back and give the show another listen where we disagreed.

I will say, though, that there is still much that can be improved with what is available online for Pakuni. "Groundbreaking" may be going to far, but Padraic also goes too far in implying that the language is essentially already documented. It's not. (At least not in a way that can be found online.)

It's kind of too bad that "George" didn't post here sooner. I see that in 2012 (posting then under the name of "Real Catholic University of Sta. FILVMENA") he announced his intention to document Pakuni. I could have shared my notes and saved him the trouble - especially since he said that watching the show was "really boring."

Amike salutas,
Thomas/Tomaso ALEXANDER.
www.NightinGael.Net
---Anything below this line is not from Thomas ---