We use 36.0 to trigger our septic workup.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of james reingold
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hypothermia in Neonates

Hello List,
An interesting debate has broken out in our department over hypothermia in
infants 0-30 days of age.  The case in question was a 4d old who presented
for jaundice and was noted to have a temp of 36.2C rectal in triage, 35.8C
rectal when moved to the exam room.  The mother said the baby had been
feeding poorly and wasn't very active but the baby looked fine in the ED.
Some docs have said they would perform a full r/o sepsis eval.  Others have
felt that as an isolated finding the low temp was not worth pulling the
trigger since the child had a normal exam otherwise.
Specific questions:
1.  What is hypothermia in this age group?  Some have cited <36.5, other
<36.02.  Is hypothermia as iron-clad an indication for r/o sepsis as fever?
We perform the r/o sepsis eval for 100.4F or greater even if everything else
is perfectly fine.  Is it the same for hypothermia?3.  Does the complaint of
jaundice, which we know can be caused by infection, change anyone's approach
to the low temp?
Appreciate everyone's expertise and input.
Thanks!
James Reingold, M.D.
message: info PED-EM-L The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html