On 06/02/14 19:10, David Michelson wrote:
> Dear Michelle,
>
> Thank you this is an excellent model which we will copy (and I
> am not just saying that because I am a Hoosier, though I am).
>
> I see that in both replies with examples on this list so far
> the whole encyclopedia is one TEI file. Does anyone on this
> list have a strong opinion about a single file approach vs
> making each encyclpedia article its own XML file?

Hi Dave,

I was thinking about this for awhile and I suppose it depends
partly on how you view the construction of the resource and on
the amount of metadata one might have for any individual article.
If you foresee significant metadata then an individual files each
with their own teiHeader might be sufficient.  Otherwise you may
be able to have your articles as starting with the 'text' element
and thus use a text/group/text organisation in a main file where
you gave your overall metadata. This needn't mean that everything
must be in one 'file'. One TEI document may comprise many
individual files on disk, with them being XIncluded in where
necessary. (The TEI Guidelines do this -- they are separate files
on disk but constitute one TEI file overall.) Modifying your TEI
ODD customisation so that it enables you to start with 'TEI' or
with 'text' is fairly easy. (You add an additional value to the
schemaSpec/@start attribute.)

Best,
-James

--