On 3 February 2014 09:30, Siva Kalyan <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Note, though, that ASL classifiers are probably a closed class (at least
> going by the fact that they are in spoken languages), whereas Type 3
> incorporation is fully productive.

AFAIK, if I'm not remembering it completely wrong (I might!), ASL
classifiers are basically *regions of space* in front of the signer that
are designated in some way as having pronominal force for some kind of
previously introduced referent. If that's so, then the only limitation I
can imagine in the number of classifiers in use at a single moment is
people's cognitive abilities, and the only limitation in general is
people's ability to distinguish between two similar but not identical
positions in space. Whether that makes them a "closed class" is debatable.

And Type 3 incorporation might not always be fully productive. I think I
remember reading about a language that only incorporates objects nouns that
have a special "incorporated" form. Nouns that lack this form cannot be
incorporated. In such a case, even Type 3 incorporation cannot be fully
productive.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)